Search This Blog

Thursday, February 19, 2015

Book Review - Once - Morris Gleitzman

OnceOnce by Morris Gleitzman

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I have seen this book everyday in the last 14 years I have worked in the bookshop but I've never read it. I had the opportunity to do so last week and here are my thoughts.

This book was well written and very respectful. The main character is a child who has been placed in an orphanage to hide him from the Nazi's. He believes his parents are world adventuring bookshop owners. As the course of the novel progresses we see the main character start to lose his innocence as he gradually finds out what is actually happening in Poland, which starts when he leaves the orphanage to warn his parents people are burning books.

Depressing in places (but what novel about Nazi regime wouldn't be) this is a highly recommended book for juniors/teens to read to get a feel of what World War 2 was about.

Glad I read it, I wouldn't mind reading the other two in the series Then and Now.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...