The other day I was flipping through some cookbooks at work thinking I wanted to make a cake. I came across Julie Le Clerc's book, Favourite Cakes.
I was astounded by the amount of cakes in this book that I would actually eat, let alone can make. There are some wonderful ones but the one I chose to make was the Apple Crumble Tea Cake. It took me about 10-15 minutes to prepare and around 50 minutes to cook. The smell coming from the kitchen divine and my mouth watered while I waited.
Here is what my cake looked liked when it came out of the oven.
The recipe is not at all hard to do and I highly recommend that you give it a go!
Apple Crumble Tea Cake: Serves 18
125g butter, cubed
1 cup firmly packed soft brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
2 cooking apples, grated (you can leave the skins on)
1 cup of raisins
1 cup milk
1tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup of rolled oats
1 1/2 cups of plain flour
3 tsp baking powder
100 g butter, cubed
1 cup plain flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Pre heat oven to 180 degrees C. Line a baking tin with non stick baking paper (or alfoil, like I did)
- Place butter, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, grated apples, raisins and milk into saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring until sugar dissolves and butter melts. Allow to cool.
- Beat in vanilla and eggs. Add oats, sifted flour and baking powder and stir to combine. Spread mixture into prepared tin.
- To make crumble topping, use your fingertips to rub butter into the flour until crumbly. Stir in sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle crumble mixture evenly over the surface of the cake.
- Bake for 40 minutes (I found that it still not set, so I left it in for another 10 minutes)
- Stand in cake tin for 15 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool.
There are some many great cakes in this book, like I said earlier - definatley buy this book. It is awesome!!
Julie Le Clerc's Favourite Cakes