Search This Blog

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Apple Crumble Tea Cake from Julie Le Clerc's Favourite Cakes

The other day I was flipping through some cookbooks at work thinking I wanted to make a cake. I came across Julie Le Clerc's book, Favourite Cakes.



I was astounded by the amount of cakes in this book that I would actually eat, let alone can make. There are some wonderful ones but the one I chose to make was the Apple Crumble Tea Cake. It took me about 10-15 minutes to prepare and around 50 minutes to cook. The smell coming from the kitchen divine and my mouth watered while I waited.
Here is what my cake looked liked when it came out of the oven.

The recipe is not at all hard to do and I highly recommend that you give it a go!

Apple Crumble Tea Cake:                Serves 18

125g butter, cubed
1 cup firmly packed soft brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
2 cooking apples, grated (you can leave the skins on)
1 cup of raisins
1 cup milk
1tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup of rolled oats
1 1/2 cups of plain flour
3 tsp baking powder

CRUMBLE TOPPING:
100 g butter, cubed
1 cup plain flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon

METHOD:
  1. Pre heat oven to 180 degrees C. Line a baking tin with non stick baking paper (or alfoil, like I did)
  2. Place butter, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, grated apples, raisins and milk into saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring until sugar dissolves and butter melts. Allow to cool.
  3. Beat in vanilla and eggs. Add oats, sifted flour and baking powder and stir to combine. Spread mixture into prepared tin.
  4. To make crumble topping, use your fingertips to rub butter into the flour until crumbly. Stir in sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle crumble mixture evenly over the surface of the cake.
  5. Bake for 40 minutes (I found that it still not set, so I left it in for another 10 minutes)
  6. Stand in cake tin for 15 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool.
There are some many great cakes in this book, like I said earlier - definatley buy this book. It is awesome!!

Julie Le Clerc's Favourite Cakes
9780143565826
$39.99 
                                              Penguin Books 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...