Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Young Adult Fiction

As a bookseller we see alot of books come in and go out. Some the teenagers like and some they don't, you will get that. We see a lot of Y/A books that cross the boundries where mainly adults read them. Some of our most popular Y/A authors are Kristen and P.C Cast, Stephanie Meyer, Michael Pryor, Kate Forsyth, Eoin Colfer, Richard Flanagan, Robert Muchamore, Richelle Mead, Garth Nix and many more.
Our question to you is what draws you into these books? What makes you want to buy them? I know why I read a lot of Y/A fiction, I love the characters and the cleaness of the stories.
I love the 'Cherub' series buy Robert Muchamore because it is gritty and shows a truth that many adults seem to forget; Children are people too.
Richelle Mead's 'Vampire Academy' and Kristen and P.C Cast ' House of Night' shows the value of bonds between friends and enemies.

Michael Pryor "Laws of Magic' show that techonolgy and magic can exsist together and that we need to embrace both in our lives.

It is fantastic our childern are embracing these ideals and forging something inside themselves. They are learning lessons and history by reading these stories as most of them have some basis in fact, whether they are fantasy, urban, medieval etc.. I read one post the other day saying this girl was at a quiz night and she knew some of the answers because she had leaned them from reading fantasy. I believe it was a question about armor.
Well that is my rant for the day, Please do tell us why you like to read and what do you get out of it?

2 comments:

  1. At the moment my current obsession is the Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins. I absolutely loved the first book (the second was good too but the first was fantastic! Read it in one night, couldn't put it down) and I've already pre-ordered my copy of Mockingjay, can't wait to see it!

    Of course I love the HP series (who doesn't!) and another favourite YA series is the Tomorrow series. My cousin who's 15 has been telling me I need to read the Cherub series, so I think that is next on my list.

    I don't read a lot of YA fiction, but like you I like the 'cleaness' of the stories, but also as an adult reader of YA fiction I think it reminds me of what it was like to be a teenager, the angst, that special way of looking at the world. It's easy to forget how it felt to be a teenager and that's one of the things I like about YA fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactually! Adults tend to miss things that juniors and teens don't. It is another way of looking at things. I love the Hunger Games series and can't wait to get my hands on the next book too!! It should be great:)

    Thank you for replying :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...