Search This Blog

Friday, November 19, 2010

Jaci Burton Interview

If you like romance with a great plot, great sex and alpha males, then this is the author for you! Jaci Burton has given us an interview on her work and how she remains sane as a writer..
 
          A&R: What led you into a writing career?

Actually it was my husband. I used to dabble in writing, but never seriously. When we married, he told me I should try to get serious about it again, so I did, and finally finished my first manuscript. Then I wrote another, and another, and the rest is history!
A&R:What are the most important attributes to remaining sane as a writer?
Writers aren't sane. Heh. 
Okay, seriously. I think the most important thing is to always look at the big picture and not get bogged down by the minutae. I'm often guilty of this myself. I get overwhelmed, and think there are things I can't do, or tasks I can't accomplish. Small details or day to day crises can be overwhelming sometimes. It's important to have a schedule, and to know that if you apply some organization, you can push through and get the job done. A book can be written--it just takes sitting your butt down in the chair and working hard at it every day, while also knowing there are times you have to step away and clear your head. Helps to refresh the well.
A&R:While writing, do you eat, drink or so anything special to get the mojo flowing? Like sports people wearing lucky socks etc.. 
Bubblegum. I can't work without bubblegum.
A&R: How do you start for the day?
I have coffee, check email, Twitter, Facebook, chat a bit with friends, then I get to work. I'm not one of those writers who can open up the book and start writing first thing in the morning. I have to ease into the day.
A&R:Which character was the hardest to write? Which one was the easiest? Are any of your characters based on people you know or purely imaginative? 
They're all hard to write. I can't recall any particular character being any more difficult or easier than any other. When I'm working on a book, that's the book that's hardest to write. Characters are tempermental creatures and don't always cooperate. All my heroes have some facets of my husband in them, because he's my personal hero. Otherwise, no. I don't base characters on people I know.
A&R:Are there any occupational hazards to being a novelist? 
Sitting too long in a chair writing is a health hazard. It can make for sore neck, shoulders, back, hips, knees, etc etc etc. Writers need to get up and get exercise periodically throughout the day. 
Also, you have to be self disciplined to be a writer. You're your own boss, so if you want to be successful, you have to push yourself to do so. If you're not self motivated, this might not be the career for you. 

A&R: What excites you about writing?
I love the absolute creativity of it, the ability to start from nothing and end with a book that's filled with my imagination. I'm living my dream and am very lucky to be doing it.
A&R:If you could invite 3 famous people (living, dead, fictional) to a dinner party who would they be and why?
Roarke and Eve from JD Robb's In Death series, becuase they're two of the most fascinating characters I've ever read. Roarke is such a sexy, dynamic, honorable hero, and Eve is gutsy, yet vulnerable. And Nora Roberts, who writes the In Death series, and because she's Nora and one of the best authors of romance. What a fun dinner party that would be!
A&R:Who would play you in a film of your life?
Angelina Jolie, because she looks so much like me....hahahahaha
A&R: What adventures will be next for your characters?
I have a sweet Christmas romance releasing from Carina Press in December. 
In February 2011 is the start of a new sexy sports series from Berkley Heat, starting with The Perfect Play in February and Changing The Game in August.
Inn November 2011 I have a debut romantic suspense series with MIRA with Heart of a Killer. 
So excited about all my upcoming books!


Jaci lives in Oklahoma with her family, she is a multi published author who writes in many genres. She writes for Bantam Dell, Berkley, Ellora's Cave and Samhain Publishing. Also Jaci has been fortunate to win several awards, including the Romantic Times BookReview Magazine's Reviewer's Choice Award for Best Erotic Paranormal.
 
Her website is here Jaci Burton Website

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...