Search This Blog

Monday, November 1, 2010

Virals - Kathy Reichs Review


Tory Brennan, niece of acclaimed forensic anthropologist Temperance Brennan (of the Bones novels and hit TV show), is the leader of a ragtag band of teenage 'sci-philes' who live on a secluded island off the coast of South Carolina. When the group rescues a dog caged for medical testing on a nearby island, they are exposed to an experimental strain of canine parvovirus that changes their lives forever.

As the friends discover their heightened senses and animal-quick reflexes, they must combine their scientific curiosity with their newfound physical gifts to solve a cold-case murder that has suddenly become very hot - if they can stay alive long enough to catch the killer's scent.

Fortunately, they are now more than friends - they're a pack. They are Virals.

I love the show Bones and I love Temperance Brennan, so when I saw that Kathy Reichs had a new novel about the niece of the great Tempe Brennan I was intrigued. What I read of the blurb made me go hmm, that sounds interesting. I started to read it and instantly I was hooked. There is action from the get go. Not usually a fan of 1st person points of view, Kathy manages to still keep me interested as Tory and her friends get into a whole lot of trouble. The only gripe I had is that there was one character that probably shouldn't have been killed; if this book is going to be the start of a series. If it's not then, fine it was a good plot point to kill the character.

The way Kathy explains how they were infected and how long it took for them to realise they were infected was very believable. Also the cold case they are working on is quite well presented. It makes you wonder sometimes just how far we go for money and why people turn blind eyes to things.

All in all a very good story and I hope there will be more!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...